Environment Quick News   
A Monthly Report From EPRI's Environment Sector October 2007
WATER AND ECOSYSTEMS
Program 55: Watershed and Water Resource Management

Progress on Cross-Pollutant Trading Project
EPRI’s project examining cross-pollutant trading has to date focused primarily on identifying existing and proposed cross-pollutant trading programs, and in determining answers to three questions about each program:

• Is the trade effective in reducing the pollutant load (i.e., does the science support it)?
  • Does the trade comply with the Clean Water Act (i.e., is it legal)?
  • Is the trade attractive (i.e., what are the behavioral and economic outcomes)?

Three existing cross-pollutant trading programs and six proposed programs have been identified, and researchers are compiling detailed information about each.  Researchers have also examined federal and state programs related to trading, including EPA’s policy—which makes specific provision for cross-pollutant trades—and policies in Michigan, West Virginia, Colorado, and Pennsylvania.  Future work will focus on methods for cross-pollutant trading; of particular interest are trades related to ammonia involving reductions in pH and temperature to reduce in-stream un-ionized ammonia concentrations and related toxicity.  Modeling tools that can demonstrate the effectiveness of pollutant load reductions through cross-pollutant trading will also be considered.  For more information, contact Robert Goldstein, (650) 855-2593, rogoldst@epri.com.